What is a Data Diode?
A Data Diode device, also known as a unidirectional network, is a network appliance that guarantees a safe one way data transfer by only allowing data to travel in one direction.
What’s the purpose of a Data Diode?
The Data Diode technology guarantees information security and a trustworthy network isolation to classified and military network by transferring data between two networks with the highest protection possible, making it impossible for hostile networks to access the system or bring harm to it.
What’s the difference between a Data Diode and a firewall?
- The Data Diode cannot be breached or misconfigured wherever the firewall can. If the Data Diode is breached, it immediately shuts down. This includes all channels for transmission. The firewall might not only be breached but will also continue to transmit data if so.
- The Data Diode is a hardware product, making online attacks on it impossible. A firewall is a software product with therefor unavoidable security vulnerabilities that hackers can exploit.
- The Data Diode is the only device that can guarantee one way data transfer. This is not the case with the firewall.
- The Data Diode does not require any updates of any form. Again, this is not the case with the firewall, which requires constant updates and configurations to maintain a high level of security.
When is a Data Diode needed?
- Protecting production
Increasing threats from the internet has jeopardized numerous production facilities, causing production delays and increased costs. The Data Diode device makes it possible to share production data within the organization without the risk of intrusion in the network or data flowing in the wrong direction, thus optimizing production and lowering costs.
- Protecting companies
Companies of today possesses information that is not to be shared with others; inventions, secrets, patents, data that needs to be shared within the company but that are under no circumstances to be contributed to others. The data diode secures all information shared within the company, making it possible for the company to share important high-value development data without the risk of data leaks.
- Protecting government and military information
For defense and government organizations, the risk of classified data being hacked when transmitted is a constant security issue. Networks are not monitored around the clock and humans simply makes mistakes. The information held can, when in wrong hands, not only cause a threat to the government but to entire countries. The Data Diode device makes sure that data is transferred in only one direction all day, all year, without the need of human involvement. Data breaches are completely avoided and prevented while the classified information travels in real-time. It is therefore not only safe but also time-efficient.
What is a Fiber Optic Switch?
A Fiber Optic Switch is a hardware remote control device, in appearance similar to a computer router, that makes it possible to switch either the optical signals on and off or to change from one channel to another. The remote control is accessed via a built-in web service or panel switch, depending on the switch model. It is mostly used for fiber optic network.
What’s the purpose of a Fiber Optic Switch?
The fiber optic switch in networks is used to receive and send data transmissions while optimizing the fiber optic signal.
When is a Fiber Optical Switch used?
- In networks, the Fiber Optic Switch enables star topology routing by providing a large amount of ports for cable connections. This can be used to connect several PC:s to the same network.
- Functioning as a bridge, the fiber optic switch forwards messages to a certain host in the same network by using the same filter on each port and decoding the frames.
- The switch can be used to control traffic coming into or leaving the network, easily connecting both computers and access points.
- The fiber switch can be used to expand the bandwidth of the LAN by dividing it into several collision domains with independent broadband. Since there is no limit in protocol or speed, nor any electrical loss or electrical bandwidth limit, the Fiber Optic Switch is a cost-effective and safe choice for military and classified network.
What is HDBaseT?
HDBaseT is a digital connectivity solution that replaces cables for transmission of ultra-high-definition video and audio, ethernet, controls, USB and up to 100W of power over one single cable.
The Fiber Optical Extender increases the maximal distance of the HDBaseT up to 80km.
What’s the purpose of HDBaseT?
To transmit numerous digital signals at once using only one cable, thus eliminating cable clutter without compromising performance and high quality.
When is HDBaseT used?
Home entertainment, transmitting high-quality audio and video to a home cinema.
Enabling industrial demands regarding daisy-chaining, length extending, KVM-switches and bi-directional tunneled USB connections.
Significant for installations requiring video signal interference protection.
What are the benefits of HDBaseT compared to HDMI?
- HDBaseT uses a standard RJ45 connector and doesn’t require specific types of legacy cables or proprietary connectors. This is, as known, not the case with HDMI.
- HDBaseT has a far greater range than HDMI. For an example, the HDBaseT Fiber Optical Extender increases the maximal distance of the HDBaseT link from 100m up to 80km. The longest HDMI cable with a compliance test certificate is approximately 14m.
- Since only one cable is needed for all transmissions, the optical extender cable eliminates clutter, simplifies the installation, and reduces the infrastructure costs.
- With HDBaseT, additional units can be added at the same time. Purchasing expensive additional receive/send units for each set of ports is therefore eliminated, providing both a priceworthy and effective solution. HDMI on the other hand demands numerous accessories for it to be able to achieve similar results.